Sacked police chief from Baltimore to wave of violence

Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake presents the new police chief for Baltimore. | © Bryan Woolston / Reuters


Almost three months ago the Black Freddie Gray died in police custody. The case sparked worldwide outrage, violence escalated in Baltimore.

Because of the increasing violence in Baltimore after the death of Freddie Gray Black police chief of the US city has been summarily dismissed. The former police chief Anthony Batts will transitionally replaced by his deputy, said Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake. “That’s not an easy decision,” said the mayor. The past few weeks have shown that “too many die on our roads.”

The dismissal of two and a half months after Batts comes unrest, which had been triggered by the death of Grays. The 25-year-old Black had so suffered severe spinal injuries when he was arrested on April 12, he fell into a coma and died a week later. The officials are said to have laid the shackled hand and foot African American in police vans stomach with the head forward on the floor of the vehicle and not wearing a seatbelt. end of May were six police officers formally charged, three of them for manslaughter threaten them prison sentences of between ten and 30 years.

After the riots, the number of arrests fell in Baltimore, the murder rate climbed. Since the beginning of 155 murders were committed in the east coast city and counted 303 shootings. Last three people were shot dead on Tuesday on a college campus. Throughout the past year there had been 105 murders in Baltimore and 163 shootings. Batts had been brought to Baltimore in September 2012 in order to modernize the municipal police. He was criticized for his handling of the riots after the death of Gray much.

Grays death was condemned by many as a new case of deadly police violence against unarmed blacks in the US. The case sparked violent protests in Baltimore from. cars and buildings were burned, shops were looted. Hundreds of people were arrested. In the meantime, A night curfew was implemented in Baltimore and the National Guard was sent to the city.